Can a tourist purchase a car in the Green Valley, Arizona and insure it himself?

If you’re visiting the Green Valley, Arizona area as a tourist from another state, it’s simply a matter of having the vehicle purchased in your name and insured under your current auto insurance policy. Some states may require you to purchase a transit permit that’s valid for a short period of time. You typically have 30 days from the time of purchase to transfer the vehicle’s title in your name and register the vehicle with your home state.

If you are a tourist from another country, purchasing a car for short term use turns into a much more complicated task. There are several issues at hand that may prevent you from legally using the vehicle during your stay:

  • Most states prohibit the use of temporary addresses in place of a permanent address when registering a vehicle. As it is unlikely that a tourist will have a permanent U.S. address, it becomes very difficult to have the vehicle properly registered and plated.
  • It’s also illegal to use someone else’s address to register the vehicle. If you’re caught, civil penalties may be involved.
  • The previous owner can’t and in most cases won’t allow you to use their plates to drive the car. In ordinary practice, sellers are almost always obligated to remove their license plates from the car when the vehicle is sold.

In addition, very few insurance companies offer short-term auto insurance for tourists in the U.S. for this particular purpose. If you do manage to find a willing insurer, the agency in question may require you to have an international driver’s license on hand in addition to the driver’s license of your home country. In the end, it’s usually a good idea to rent a vehicle during your stay.

Don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have any specific questions about your current car insurance policy. As your independent agent, we can help you regardless of your particular circumstance.

Disclaimer: “ The content of these blogs do not represent any type of specific coverage’s offered by the agency.”