Does Home Insurance Cover Pool Houses?

One of the questions that we at Insurance Center of Green Valley, serving the greater Green Valley, AZ area, are asked is whether homeowners insurance covers structures that are detached from a home. This can include things such as storage sheds, detached garages, barns and pool homes. If you have a building that is detached from your home, here is the information you need to know about whether it is covered by homeowners insurance or not. 

Is It Covered?

Unfortunately, there is not a one-size-fits-all answer to whether a pool house or other stand-alone building on your property, is covered by homeowners insurance. Some insurance policies will cover these stand-alone buildings, while others do not. The best way to determine whether this type of building is covered by your homeowner’s insurance is to carefully read the policy. The policy will clearly state whether detached buildings on your property are covered or not covered under the current policy. 

What Do You Do If It Isn’t Covered?

If your standalone building, such as a pool home, is not covered by the policy, there are two things that can be done. First, an addendum can be added to the current policy to extend coverage to the pool house or stand-alone building. Second, some insurance companies sell stand-alone building insurance coverage, a type of policy that specifically covers the standalone buildings on your property. This may be needed if you have multiple standalone buildings. 

If you have a pool house or other standalone building on your property, you will want to ensure it is covered by insurance. Here at Insurance Center of Green Valley, serving the greater Green Valley, AZ area, we can work with you to help ensure everything on your property is covered and protected.